Prefinished hardwood flooring is a great option if you’re wanting a solid hardwood floor option, but want to skip the time and steps involved in sanding and finishing the newly installed flooring. Like engineered flooring, the floor is simply installed and ready to live on right away! There is no need to make arrangements to be away from your home over night (for one or more days depending on the scope of the project) or for the remainder of the day, as is usually the case with a refinish or traditional sand-and-finish hardwood product. It is also an excellent alternative to laminate, as it comes with most of the benefits of real hardwood.
Benefits of Prefinished Hardwood include:
- The ability to refinish
- Repair small portions if needed
- Add-on to existing flooring
- Customization options
The hardwood is sealed and finished in the factory instead of on site. Some down sides to using prefinished flooring may include:
- More expensive than traditional sand-and-finish hardwood products
- You may not have as many options regarding the type of flooring, stain colors, etc. as you would with a normal installation
- Down the road, refinishing this type of flooring is often more expensive as the factory-finish process is more difficult to sand off and can be toxic; requiring extra safety measures for both the customer and the crew
There are many prefinished hardwood flooring variations and possibilities! Please feel free to reach out to us to discuss your specific flooring needs if you are considering a prefinished hardwood product for your home.